James Fenimore Cooper Society Website
This page is: http://external.oneonta.edu/cooper/society.html
Cooper Society and Membership
Updated April 2010.
Return to Home Page
The James Fenimore Cooper Society is a friendly and informal group of students, scholars, and readers, scattered around the globe, and united by our common interest in the life, writings, and ideas of James Fenimore Cooper, and his daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper. Our Corresponding Secretary, Hugh C. MacDougall, who founded the Society in 1989, is always prepared to assist students or scholars with their Cooper research, making use of his extensive library of Cooper and Cooper-related materials. Just Ask Fenimore.
All materials are sent by air mail to overseas members, at no extra cost.
- The Cooper Society Newsletter. Issued quarterly, it includes news about Cooper studies and Cooper Society members, short articles, reviews of new books and Cooper-based films, and information on upcoming Conferences and other events. A full set of back issues may be ordered for $25.00
- Cooper Society Miscellaneous Papers. Issued irregularly, and distributed to all members, they include two series:
1) Reference Materials: relating to James Fenimore Cooper and Susan Fenimore Cooper, and occasional printed texts of otherwise hard-to-find materials. Available at no cost to new members.
2) ALA Cooper Panel Papers: Papers presented at the Cooper Panel at the annual Conference of the American Literature Association. A full set of back issues may be ordered for $15.00.
- A Call for Papers for the Society-sponsored Cooper Panel at the annual Conference of the American Literature Association.
- A periodic membership list.
- Advance notice of, and call for papers for, the week-long biennial Cooper Seminar/Conference, held in early July in "odd" numbered years at the State University of New York College at Oneonta (SUNY Oneonta). Papers may relate to either James Fenimore Cooper or his eldest daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper. The Conference/Seminar provides an opportunity both for presenting papers and for extended informal contact between Cooper scholars and fans. It may also be taken "for credit" at undergraduate and graduate levels.
Membership costs only US$15.00 per calendar year!
You may pay up to three years ($35) in advance
TO JOIN, print out, complete, and send in the Membership Application -- or equivalent information in any form.
Return to Top of Page